“Stop sending expired food”….”fried chicken 64.99”
IQALUIT, Nunavut — A head of cabbage for $20. Fifteen bucks for a small bag of apples.
A case of ginger ale: $82.
Fed up and frustrated by sky-high food prices and concerned over widespread hunger in their communities, thousands of Inuit have spent weeks posting pictures and price tags from their local grocery stores to a Facebook site called Feed My Family.
WHAT IN THE FUCK? This shit is not okay.
ughhslfkajsdlf gross gross gross
Reblogging for the extra articles.
Also… I might show up to this protest and support them.
Pay attention to this stuff, please, followers who haven’t heard about this! This kind of thing is completely erased in news media.
This is really fucking important.
This is why I don’t respect anyone who blindly supports the anti-sealing protestors. Because for a lot of people, it’s the only affordable option.
It’s not just Iqaluit. In Nain, Labrador this problem has been going on for ages and nobody does anything about it. $47 for a ham and $17 for a block of cheese. In Rigolet, Labrador, a loaf of bread costs $7. Here’s another picture of an Iqaluit food price changing before your very eyes.
The NNCP is starving people, reducing their food choices, and keeping people on EI poor. This is so, so wrong.
How can we help? I joined the group and checked out the website, but I didn’t see anything that can be actively done (other than raising awareness, which, of course, is great).
Excellent question! If you read through the group (which is here, for anyone who missed it), there are people talking about some ways to help.
- Look at the latest news on the Feeding My Family website to see what the priorities are and how you might be able to help.
- If you’re Canadian, call your local MP and ask to discuss this issue and express your concern.
- Look up ways to support putting pressure onto airlines to charge fair rates (a $1000 plane ticket should be from one coast to the other, not a few hundred miles).
- Research and learn what you can about food sustainability. For a start, how about learning square foot/metre (French intensive) gardening or container gardening and starting to practice it yourself? Share these techniques with friends and family. Get good at it so you can teach them to others who have poor food security in your own area.
- For the love of God, stop signing “anti-sealing”/”anti-hunting” petitions and supporting Greenpeace’s actions without understanding the complicated, nuanced situation in the North.
- Watch the FB group, because people there mention direct donations and ways to help the organizations actually on the ground there.
- For example, one person is starting up a donation project/fundraiser.
- Look at what organizations like FoodShare are doing and support them.
There is so much to be done. Sharing news articles and stories, lists of resources, donation and fundraising pages, and knowledge about food security is critical, but there’s a lot more work of all sorts.
Navajo Kindergartner Sent Home from School, Ordered to Cut His Hair
On Monday, a 5-year-old Native American boy was sent home on his first day of school and ordered to cut his hair short because it allegedly violated district policy, the boy’s mother said.
The child, Malachi Wilson, an enrolled citizen of the Navajo Nation, had been looking forward to his first day of kindergarten at F.J. Young Elementary in Seminole, Texas.
I AM SEETHING. FUCK THE CONTINUATION OF ASSIMILATION EFFORTS AND ASSAULT ON THE PHYSICAL, MENTAL, EMOTIONAL, AND SPIRITUAL WELL-BEING OF NATIVE AND INDIGENOUS PEOPLE.
THIS COUNTRY HAS NO SHAME
NO HISTORICAL BEARING
HAS AMERICA FORGOTTEN SO SOON?
THE TRAGEDY OF NATIVE CHILDREN FORCED TO LEAVE THEIR HOMES FOR RACIST BOARDING SCHOOLS?
WHERE THEIR HAIR WAS CUT? WHERE CHILDREN WERE BEATEN FOR SPEAKING THEIR MOTHER TONGUES? WHERE THEY WERE ABUSED AND FORCED TO HIDE THEIR CULTURE AS A WAY TO SURVIVE?
NEVER FORGET. NEVER.
ennochikara replied to your post “wow i’m really sorry if you post mokkun pics and i just spammed you…”
you’re not really sorry
wow i’m really sorry if you post mokkun pics and i just spammed you with ‘like’ notifications
Daily Show correspondent Michael Che tries to find a safe place to report from.
- Talk about the first ship you ever had.
- Talk about three of the most important ships throughout your life.
- What’s your current OTP?
- What’s your current NOTP?
- Do you have any poly ships?
- How do you feel about love triangles?
- How do you feel about RPF?
- Have you ever shipped…